Africa Covid-19, Eritrea a Model to Follow
Asmara – A country that is achieving excellent results in the prevention and management of the epidemic at Covid-19 is Eritrea. A small country long demonized because of its independence and resilience against foreign interference. With only 39 positive cases, 37 of which have been cured and no deaths, it is the country that deserves our congratulations and respect. We wanted to find out more about the reasons for this success by interviewing the international organizations present in the country. The answers obtained can be summarized as follows:
– A patriotic and disciplined population that has been actively mobilized to meet the challenges posed by this pandemic.
– ongoing and effective media outreach
– effective preventive management by the Government, which quickly closed the air, sea and land borders by quarantining all persons who had arrived since the beginning of the epidemic
– effective measures to support families during the period of confinement through direct assistance from the Government and Eritrean citizens from the interior and the diaspora
– accompaniment and care of the most fragile people by local communities.
With a population of 4.5 million inhabitants, a government that has made equal opportunities for all its citizens the North Star of its policy which translates into free education and health for all, Eritrea is an example to follow in Africa. After peace with Ethiopia and the resumption of relations with the international community, the future looks very promising. Already the programmes for the construction of housing, road, port, health and hotel infrastructures will create hundreds of thousands of jobs and encourage the return of a diaspora which has always been recognized for its patriotism and dynamism.