Eritrean NY Taxi Driver, 59, Lay Dead in His Cab for 18 HOURS and No One Noticed Until His Wife Came Looking for Him

New York City taxi driver, 59, lay dead in his cab for 18 HOURS and no one noticed until his wife came looking for him



*Mehari Bokrezion, 59, passed away sometime between Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday while parked in SoHo


*Medical examiner found the married cabbie died of a heart attack


*It was Bokrezion’s wife and brother who found him deceased behind the wheel, parked just a half-mile from his West Village home | August 14, 2017



Eritrean NY Taxi Driver, 59, Lay Dead in His Cab for 18 HOURS and No One Noticed Until His Wife Came Looking for Him



New York City taxi driver Mehari Bokrezion parked his yellow cab in Manhattan’s SoHo section last Tuesday planning to take a nap, but never woke up.

It was not until 18 hours later that his wife and brother found him dead in the driver’s seat.
The medical examiner’s office has determined that Bokrezion, 59, passed away in his sleep after suffering a heart attack.



Mehari Bokrezion, in the center of the back row wearing a hat, with fellow drivers. He died behind the wheel of his taxi and sat there for 18 hours before he was discovered.



The New York City Police Department said in a statement that officers responded to a 911 call at 6.30am on Wednesday reporting a deceased person inside a car.

Officers who arrived on the scene near the intersection of Grand and Thompson streets discovered Bokrezion unconscious and unresponsive. He was pronounced dead on the spot.
On Monday, the New York Times offered a detailed account of Bokrezion’s life and the hours leading up to his death.

The paper reported that Bokrezion, a married immigrant from Eritrea, had worked as a taxi driver for Susan Maintenance Corp for nearly two decades.



The taxi stand on Thompson Street in SoHo, where Mr. Bokrezion parked. CreditEdu Bayer for The New York Times

His colleagues described him as an amiable and caring man, known for checking up on absent friends and arriving for his shift early so he could chat with other cabbies.

On Tuesday, he took the subway from his home in the West Village to the cab company’s headquarters in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn, picked up a cab at around 10m and headed to La Guardia Airport, where he eventually found his first customer and drove that person to TriBeCa.

After that, Bokrezion headed to a familiar taxi stand on Thompson Street, arriving at his destination just after 12.30pm.

There, he parked next to a basketball court and settled in for a nap, never to wake up again.



Over the next 18 hours, throngs of people would drive and walk by the idle yellow cab without noticing that the driver seated behind the wheel was dead.

It was not until the following morning that Bokrezion’s worried wife called a taxi dispatcher, alerting him to the fact that her husband failed to come home the night before.

The dispatcher checked the company’s GPS system and discovered that Bokrezion’s vehicle had not moved since Tuesday afternoon.

He gave the wife the address of the taxi stand where the cab was parked, which was just a half-mile from the Bokrezion family’s home.

At around the same time a passer-by noticed the driver hadn’t moved and called 911.

At 6.30am on Wednesday, the cabbie’s spouse and his brother arrived at the location and found him deceased inside the locked vehicle.

First responders who were summoned to the scene extracted Bokrezion’s lifeless body after breaking the window to unlock the cab.