Video: The shocking Moment an Eritrea Man Viciously Attacked in Australia

The shocking moment a refugee from Eritrea was viciously attacked on a NSW street for $60 and a set of headphones – just five days after arriving in Australia | June 5, 2014

A man has been jailed for nine years after he repeatedly punched an African migrant to the ground in a violent robbery in a train station alleyway, last October.

Timothy Williams, from Illawarra, NSW, can be seen hitting the refugee so hard in his face that he required stitches in his left ear and lost a tooth, in CCTV footage shown in court on Thursday morning.

Smack: The moment Timothy Williams first punched the African refugee last October at Wollongong railway station, NSW
While his victim was on the floor, the 26-year-old continuously bashed the man as he tried to escape the unprovoked assault.  

The refugee had only been in Australia for five days after travelling from his native Eritrea – one of the most violent countries in the world – when he was set upon at Wollongong railway station, 82 kilometres south of Sydney.

His attackers saw their victim approach the pedestrian ramp while on the railway overpass on Crown Street and stopped to wait for him.Mr Williams then signalled for the man to come over to him, demanding his cash.

However, the refugee speaks little English and did not understand the demands.
Mr Williams grabbed money from his backpack, prompting the victim to hand over a few coins from his pocket.
Floored: The Illawarra man sets upon his victim without hesitation

His blonde friend Jaimee Lee Haynes, 28, hangs around in the background, reportedly acting as a lookout – unaware that the whole scene was being filmed on CCTV anyway.

During the mugging video, she strolls about in front of them in purple shorts before scarpering for a short period while Mr Williams suddenly bashes the refugee to the ground.

As the onslaught continues, the man can be seen begging for mercy as he is thrown about the alley by Mr Williams.

A passer by sees the incident but fails to stop.

When he is eventually free of his attacker's clutches, he attempts to run away but falls to the floor before reaching the end of the pathway.

Mr Williams' friend Ms Haynes then reappears in the video and the pair begin calmly collecting the victim's belongings from the floor.

The muggers got away with the man's necklace, bracelet, sunglasses, headphones and $60 in cash.

As the victim looks back one last time, Mr Williams appears to shout something at him before strolling off.

Judge Paul Conlon said the shocking CCTV footage was a reliable account of what happened during the violent assault.

'A viewing of this footage is all that is needed to make an accurate assessment of the objective seriousness of this offence,' he said, the Illawarra Mercury reported.

The Judge confirmed that the pair were waiting for their victim to reach the train station's pedestrian walkway.

'When the victim was stopped, it was also clear that there was a plan of action,' he said.

He also revealed how Mr Williams attempted to downplay the attack while speaking to a court-appointed psychologist. 

'He provides [the doctor] with a palpably false version of his confrontation and vicious assault on an unsuspecting victim,' Judge Conlon said.

Mr Williams will be locked up for six years, back-dated to when he first came into custody at the time of the offence, and won't be eligible for parole in 2019.

Meanwhile, the woman seen with him in the video – Ms Haynes – will be sentenced on Friday.

Eritrean attack australia2


    Comments are closed.